"And I have found both freedom and safety in my madness, the freedom of loneliness and the safety from being understood, for those who understand us enslave something in us. But let me not be too proud of my safety. Even a Thief in a jail is safe from another thief. "

Khalil Gibran (How I Became a Madman)

Lübnan Marunîleri / Yasin Atlıoğlu

NEWS AND ARTICLES / HABERLER VE MAKALELER

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Aoun Hints at Elections Under 1960 Law to Avoid Vacuum- Naharnet

President Michel Aoun hinted on Tuesday that he would call for staging the parliamentary elections under the 1960 law to avoid vacuum at the legislative authority.
“I don't want the 1960 law, but if we fail to reach a solution am I allowed to leave the Republic in vacuum?” Aoun asked addressing a Press Club delegation at the Presidential Palace.
The President remarked that leaving the 1960 law to rule the upcoming polls is not what he wishes “but I will not leave the country to vacuum if a new law electoral is not devised.”
About the possibility of extension of the parliament's term, Aoun said Lebanon would be overstepping the constitution if the term is extended, “Articles of the constitution must be respected,” he said.