"And I have found both freedom and safety in my madness, the freedom of loneliness and the safety from being understood, for those who understand us enslave something in us. But let me not be too proud of my safety. Even a Thief in a jail is safe from another thief. "

Khalil Gibran (How I Became a Madman)

Lübnan Marunîleri / Yasin Atlıoğlu

NEWS AND ARTICLES / HABERLER VE MAKALELER

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Peace in Syria is still possible, if only we listen to others who have achieved it- The Guardian

With the latest round of Syrian negotiations in Geneva at a deadlock, hopes for moving forward are bleak. Is there anything other than pressure from the international community that could bring the parties back to the table?
As co-founder of the international organization Beyond Conflict, I've spent more than 20 years working alongside those labeled as rebels, guerrillas, dictators, terrorists, freedom fighters and dissidents. I've witnessed equally intractable negotiations move beyond stalemate to producing agreements that actually stop the violence and put the warring parties on a path towards peace. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that in order to get Syrian leaders to consider peace as a step forward and not as a concession borne out of weakness, it helps to hear from former enemies in other equally-intractable conflicts describe how they made peace.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/feb/20/syria-peace-is-possible-lessons-civil-wars