"And I have found both freedom and safety in my madness, the freedom of loneliness and the safety from being understood, for those who understand us enslave something in us. But let me not be too proud of my safety. Even a Thief in a jail is safe from another thief. "

Khalil Gibran (How I Became a Madman)

Lübnan Marunîleri / Yasin Atlıoğlu

NEWS AND ARTICLES / HABERLER VE MAKALELER

Thursday, July 19, 2018

The Syria-Lebanon Border Areas: Interview with al-Hajj Muhammad Ja'afar- Aymenn Jawad Al-Tamimi's Blog

The Syria-Lebanon border region between the Homs countryside and the north Beqaa came to some media attention last month when Russian military police arrived in the area. There was also some talk of an impending Hezbollah withdrawal. In fact, the Russian military police quickly departed, while the Hezbollah presence remained as it was before. The incident led to rumours that the Russians had sought for Hezbollah to withdraw from the area, only for Hezbollah to reject that, partly on the grounds that the Russian move into the area was not coordinated with the group and Iran.
Whatever the case, there has been a notable change in the border areas. Specifically, the unofficial crossings that Lebanese citizens living on both sides of the border have been using are now closed. Of course, this development significantly disadvantages those Lebanese citizens who use those crossings.

Geagea Urges Aoun to Stop 'Bassil's Nonstop Clashes with Everyone'- Naharnet

Lebanese Forces leader Samir Geagea has called on President Michel Aoun to put an end to what he called “Foreign Minister Jebran Bassil's nonstop clashes with everyone.”
“There is a very deplorable situation... Whenever we and other parties exert efforts to pacify the situations, Bassil decides to talk and blow up the situation,” Geagea said in an interview with Kuwait's al-Rai newspaper to be published Friday.
“Everything Bassil is trying to do is to withhold a ministerial seat from us. Is this how the LF should be rewarded? This is very shameful,” Geagea added.
“According to Bassil's inaccurate numbers about our representation, we represent 31% of the Christian vote which grants us a share of five ministerial seats... What is he arguing about?” the LF leader went on to say.

Hariri in Madrid for Talks with Spanish PM- Naharnet

Prime Minister-designate Saad Hariri arrived Thursday in the Spanish capital Madrid on a one-day work visit, his office said.
Hariri will meet with his Spanish counterpart Pedro Sanchez and will also sponsor a graduation ceremony for the IE Business School in Madrid where he will deliver a speech, the office said in a statement.
The PM-designate is accompanied by caretaker Culture Minister Ghattas Khoury and his adviser Hani Hammoud.
Hariri was tasked with forming a new government on May 24.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Syrian War Report – July 18, 2018: Syrian Army Liberated Another Group Of Settlements East Of Golans- Youtube



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFVNPc8qqyo

Russia Established Center For Receiving, Relocating, Accommodating Refugees In Syria- South Front

Russia has established a center for receiving, relocating and accommodating refugees in Syria, the Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement on July 18.

The Russian military added  that the center will monitor the return of displaced persons and Syrian refugees from foreign countries to their homes. It will also be involved in humanitarian aid deliveries and will assist the Syrian government in restoring healthcare and human services.

The foreign and defense ministries of Russia have established a joint HQ at the National Defense Management Center in order to coordinate the center’s activities.


Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Instructions for the Drafting of the 2019 Budget Are Handed Down- The Syrian Observer

Ministries were instructed that reconstruction was not to be included, as this was part of a separate funding body writes Al-Watan.

The government has issued executive instructions pertaining to the preparation of a draft budget for the state for 2019, which is to be presented to the executive and legislative authorities, who will work on issuing the budget before the end of the year.

In its instructions, which were sent to all ministries and relevant agencies, the government stressed the need to take into account a number of matters during the preparation of the proposed drafts. The first was the need to limit the damage to facilities and roads resulting from military operations, and to separate these from facilities and roads which need rehabilitation. As well as to not include any projects or material actions related to the reconstruction of buildings, facilities and government utilities damaged by armed terrorist groups in the investment budget, because this will be allocated by the reconstruction council with an independent amount in the investment budget for 2019. This will be turned into the necessary amounts for projects and reconstruction in the ministries and public entities, in accordance with what was provided in the emergency plan for 2019, prepared by the reconstruction council. In addition, the necessary allocations for similar public projects will be identified within the scope of the economic yields they will achieve in 2019, in addition to foreign funds which can be withdrawn during the year and the available credit facilities.

The instructions focused on identifying the priority projects, which will be entered into within the scope of the Ministry for Public Works and Housing. It stressed the importance of projects being implemented by ministry companies and not the private sector, in addition to providing the necessary allocations to the Ministry of Electricity and the entities under its authority to continue producing and providing electricity and increasing the reliability of the electrical network. They also want to reduce the technical gap and reduce the rationing hours and secure sources of energy for industrial zones and cities, while working to secure the necessary equipment in terms of transformer stations, network links and other requirements.

Chris Rampling Appointed New UK Ambassador to Lebanon- Naharnet

Chris Rampling MBE has been appointed as British ambassador to Lebanon, replacing Hugo Shorter who has served as the kingdom's envoy since 2015, the British embassy said on Tuesday.
Shorter “will be transferring to another Diplomatic Service appointment. Mr Rampling will take up his appointment in September 2018,” the embassy said in a statement.
Rampling has served as UK Permanent Representation to the EU’s Political and Security Committee, and Foreign, Defense and Development Counselor.

Monday, July 16, 2018

Syrian Army Gains Control of Strategic Hill Near Israeli-Occupied Golan Heights- Sputnik News

The Syrian government's forces have stepped up their offensive in the country's southwestern Quneitra province close to the disputed area of the Golan Heights.
The Syrian army has announced it captured a strategically important hill al-Haara on the second day of the offensive to retake remaining parts of southwest Syria close to the border with Israel.

Muhaliflerin Dera’dan tahliyesi başladı- Şarkul Avsat

Savaş uçakları, Kuneytra bölgesini hedef alırken, saldırıların bölgede savaşa zemin hazırlayabileceği ifade edildi. Aynı şekilde hükümet ile barış yapmak istemeyen muhalif unsurların, Suriye’nin güneyindeki Dera şehrinden tahliyesi de başladı.

Suriye İnsan Hakları Gözlemevi (SOHR), Kuneytire’nin bombalanmasının Dera ve Kuneytire kırsalındaki “ölüm üçgeni” olarak bilinen alanlara yönelik müzakerelerin başarısızlığı çerçevesinde geliştiğini söyledi. Rejimin, Golan sınırının 11 km uzağındaki Kuneytire’de yer alan Masharah’a operasyon başlattığı ifade edildi. Lübnan’da yayın yapan el-Meyadin kanalı tarafından aktarılana göre rejim güçleri, Masharah tepesine doğru ilerlemeye devam ediyor.

Çatışmalar, BM Geri Çekilme Gözlemci Gücü (UNDOF) bölgesinde belirlenen çizgiden 4 km uzaklıkta yaşanıyor. Bölge, 1973 Arap- İsrail savaşını takiben 1974 yılından bu yana BM gücü tarafından takip edilen bir alan.

Helsinki Meeting Does Little to Clarify America’s Syria Policy – By Joshua Landis- Syria Comment


By Joshua Landis
For Syria Comment – July 16, 2018


Washington analysts were fearful that President Trump would declare that the US was withdrawing from Syria at the Helsinki meeting with President Putin. President Trump made no important concessions to or agreements with President Putin on Syria. Although many suggested that some grand bargain might be in the works, little was said to clarify America’s policy in Syria.

Winning in Syria and the Middle East – By David W. Lesch and Kamal Alam- Syria Comment

By David W. Lesch and Kamal Alam
For Syria Comment – July 16, 2018

The common perception today is that Russia has won in Syria, having supported the government of Bashar al-Assad, which is now steadily reasserting its control over previously lost territory. As a result, Russia has inserted itself as the power broker in Syria, if not the entire Middle East.  The summit between Presidents Trump and Putin on Monday in Helsinki, where the subject of Syria was high on the agenda, seems to have consecrated Russia’s victory. Countries tend to gravitate toward winners, not losers.
The United States, on the other hand, directly and indirectly intervened in multiple conflicts in the Middle East since 9/11, first in Afghanistan, then Iraq, followed by involvement in a series of upheavals brought on by the Arab Spring:  Libya and Syria most notably. No one would say the US has won in any of these cases—far from it.
On the surface, this is difficult to comprehend.  After all, the US has by far the most powerful military on earth. The image of Russia’s only aircraft carrier limping toward, breaking down, and being towed in the eastern Mediterranean in support of Assad’s forces was a stark reminder of this reality.  So how did Russia win—and why did the US fail over and over again?
There is one outstanding difference in the Russian versus American military interventions in internal national conflicts in the Middle East:  in Syria, the Kremlin supported the entrenched state. In Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, and Syria, the US supported opposition forces seeking the overthrow of the entrenched state.
For the sake of argument, let’s say the US and NATO reversed their policy and actually wanted Libyan President Muammar Gadafi to remain in power against the opposition forces unleashed by the Arab spring. Is there any doubt that with US military support he would still be in power today?  Perhaps he too would be mopping up pockets of resistance much as Assad is doing today in Syria.  However illogical or immoral it may have seemed at the time to most in the West, let’s say Washington wanted Assad to stay in power seven years ago when the Arab spring hit Syria. Would not the US be the one crowning its success there, not Russia? Ironically, the US supported the Iraqi state against ISIS—and won.  But the US is not going to get much credit for solving a problem it largely created when it dissolved the state via the invasion of Iraq in 2003 and its chaotic aftermath.

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Geagea and al-Rahi Discuss Cabinet Formation Process- Naharnet

Lebanese Forces leader Samir Geagea held a closed-door meeting with Maronite Patriarch Beshara al-Rahi on the sidelines of a mass marking St. Charbel Day in the town of Bqaa Kafra, the LF said.
The talks “tackled the Cabinet formation issue,” the LF said in a statement.
During his sermon, al-Rahi called for “forming the new government that the people are awaiting,” warning that “any delay in its formation has its political, economic, social and security repercussions.”
Prime Minister-designate Saad Hariri was tasked with forming the new government on May 24.

Third Turkish Power Ship Arrives Off Jiye Shore- Naharnet

A Turkish power generating ship arrived Sunday off the Lebanese coastal town of Jiye, the National News Agency said.
“It will dock next to the Jiye power plant and will be connected to it,” NNA added.
It said the ship was towed from Beirut by a specialized vessel.
Under a deal with the government, the ship will supply Lebanon with 200 additional megawatts that will be free of charge in the first three months.
For the past few years, Lebanon has been relying on two other Turkish power ships to cover some of its power generation deficit – the Fatmagül Sultan and the Orhan Bey.

Beirut protest decries corruption, politicians' vacations- Daily Star

BEIRUT: Protesters gathered in Downtown Beirut’s Riad al-Solh Square Sunday in condemnation of the government’s failure to provide basic services, also decrying rampant corruption and abysmal pollution levels throughout the country.
“We’re here to protest everything from pollution, corruption, schools and businesses closing and even the vacations these politicians are taking while we suffer,” a mother of two, who asked not to be named, told The Daily Star at the Sabaa Party-organized demonstration.
Speaker Nabih Berri, Prime Minister-designate Saad Hariri and caretaker Foreign Minister Gebran Bassil all returned to Beirut from vacations abroad last week at a time when talks are at a standstill over the formation of a new government.
But in spite of representing concerns widely expressed in Lebanese society, Sunday’s protest drew a meager 100 demonstrators. Asked why the turnout was so low, the mother said, “Lebanon is graced with idiots.”

Al-Rahi Slams 'Clinging to Shares, Exclusion' in Govt. Formation Talks- Naharnet

Maronite Patriarch Beshara al-Rahi on Sunday criticized parties insisting on certain shares in the new government and attempts to “exclude” certain parties.
“Clinging to shares or limiting them to certain blocs while excluding other parties and competent individuals from the non-partisan civil society do not justify delaying the government at the expense of public welfare,” al-Rahi warned in his Saint Charbel Day sermon.
“Everyone inside and outside the country are awaiting the formation of the government, because every day of delay carries major repercussions and grave losses to the economy and all its sectors,” the patriarch cautioned.
Prime Minister-designate Saad Hariri was tasked with forming the new government on May 24.
Several obstacles are hindering his mission, especially political wrangling over the Christian and Druze shares.

Saturday, July 14, 2018

High Public Debt Prevents Lebanon Economic Growth- Naharnet

An economic and financial reference called on Lebanon’s government to take into consideration the recent statement issued by the Executive Board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), urging Lebanese officials to recognize the threats endangering the country as the result of its “slow” economic growth, al-Joumhouria daily reported on Saturday.

The IMF statement has stressed that Lebanon needs immediate financial control to improve its capacity to serve the high public debt, which was over 150 percent of GDP at the end of 2017. “This requires Lebanon to take necessary and immediate action to put an end to this decline,” the reference told the daily.

In light of that “decline, we can not talk about any economic growth,” said the economic reference who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The IMF pointed out in its June report that “traditional drivers of growth in Lebanon are subdued with real estate and construction weak and a strong rebound is unlikely soon.”

ABD öncülüğündeki koalisyon rejim hedeflerini vurdu- Şarkul Avsat

ABD öncülüğündeki uluslararası koalisyon, Suriye’nin kuzeydoğusundaki Deyrizor ilinde Esed rejimine ait hedefleri vururken, saldırıda en az 40 rejim askeri öldü.

AA muhabirinin yerel kaynaklardan edindiği bilgiye göre, Deyrizor’a bağlı Ebu Kemal beldesi kırsalındaki rejim güçleri, sabah saatlerinde Fırat’ın doğusunda yer alan ve DEAŞ’ın kontrolündeki Hecin beldesine ilerlemeye çalıştı.

Rejim askerleri, Fırat nehri üzerine karşıya geçmek için mobil köprü kurarak Hecin beldesi etrafına ulaştı. Rejim güçlerinin Hecin’in etrafına yerleştikten birkaç saat sonra koalisyon uçaklarının şiddetli saldırısına uğradığı bildirildi.

Lavrov: ABD, Suriye'de bulanık suda balık avlamaya çalışıyor- Sputnik News

Rusya Dışişleri Bakanı Sergey Lavrov, ABD'nin Suriye'de bulanık suda balık avlamaya çalıştığını söyledi. Lavrov, Irak ve Libya halklarının acısının Batı'nın müdahalesinden sonra belirgin şekilde arttığına dikkat çekti.

Russia Today (RT) televizyonunda Larry King'in sorularını yanıtlayan Lavrov, "Bazı uzmanlar, ABD'nin bulanık suda balık avlamak için Suriye'deki düzensizliğin sürmesine ilgi duyduğunu belirtiyor. Ben ABD'nin bunu istediğine inanmıyorum ancak gerçeklere bakınca bunun böyle olduğu görülüyor" dedi.

Arslan Rejects Exclusion from Cabinet- Naharnet

Lebanese Democratic Party leader MP Talal Arslan reportedly rejected his exclusion from the new government, to be lined up by the premier, with sources saying that PSP leader Walid Jumblat’s “monopolization of the Druze community’s representation is dangerous,” al-Joumhouria daily reported on Saturday.
According to information obtained by the daily, Arslan has “categorically rejected” his elimination, and insists on being “personally represented.”
“Based on the results of the parliamentary elections at the Druze arena, it is normal for Arslan to be represented. Jumblat’s attempt to monopolize the Druze representation is dangerous. It would leave negative and dangerous results,” party sources told the daily.
Jumblat insists to allocate the whole three Druze Cabinet seats to his Progressive Socialist Party. Arslan, of the Strong Lebanon bloc and Jumblat’s rival Druze figure, also wants a share.
The sources said that “Jumblat rejects the real partnership in the Druze community, in order to maintain his hegemony on the mountain and its political decision.”

Stockpiles of surrendered Western arms in Syria a sign of 'gross interference' - Russia- RT

The Western-made weapons surrendered by armed groups in Deraa are “material evidence of gross interference” in Syria, according to Russian Foreign ministry. The Syrian province was under militant control for years.
"Enormous number of Western-produced modern weapons and equipment was handed over by reconciled militants to the Syrian army," spokesperson Maria Zakharova said, during her weekly news briefing on Thursday. "Different antitank missile systems, armored vehicles and small arms represent material evidence of gross interference in Syria.”
The reconciliation deal with militant forces, brokered by Russian military, and the advances of the Syrian army allowed to "almost completely" liberate the embattled southwestern Deraa province. Syrian forces regained control over the border with Jordan and the operation against remaining terrorists was carried out with minimal casualties, Zakharova stressed.
Syrians in towns across the province were celebrating the liberation on Thursday. In a significant move, the Syrian Arab Army raised the national flag in al-Balad district of Deraa, the capital city of the province, where anti-government protests started seven years ago.